How to prevent buffalo gnats from biting you?
It is the most frequent question out there, many answers, and few working solutions, this is an easy to do guide of what work or do not work to prevent get bites of black gnats.
Do you what biting gnats are?
How to get rid of biting buffalo gnats?
The best defense is:
- Staying indoors is the ideal solution to not get bitten, not joking.
- Postpones outdoor activities near bodies of water until after the buffalo gnat season ends
- Get yourself away from areas of gnat infestations.
- Some people have found that there is less buffalo gnat at higher altitudes. So if you plan on camping, mountainous areas may be a safe place to do so.
Get rid of biting midges and buffalo gnats bites in outdoor yards
Try to get rid of vegetation on any steadily moving stream in your yard as possible as you can.
Stop unwanted water taps.
In patio settings and open structures where livestock are kept, large fans can be operated to help deter the flies. If netting is used to screen off an area, it must be of very fine mesh because black flies can penetrate most window screens.
Dark moving objects.
Avoid times is the best means to get rid of midges bites.
Peak biting times: Buffalo gnats are daytime bitters and stay inside at night; they are most active just after sunrise and before sunset on calm days.
Low temperature stop buffalo gnats: Cooling weather is the best for making the gnats breeding easier; however, Buffalo gnats are lazy to fly in cool conditions. Wait until sunset to go near the flowing water because the temperature will be cooler. Also Larvae occur only in running water.
Take care of perspiration:
Avoid Fragrances: unlike other flies, Gnats might be attracted to traces of fragrances on your body from personal care products such as soap, shampoo, conditioner, and antiperspirant. Even laundry products could leave fragrance on your clothes. Use fragrance-free laundry and personal care products,
Buffalo gnats are attracted to the carbon dioxide exhaled by people and animals,
However many precaution must be taken before going outside.
They tend to bite on the neck or face. So that the best way to stop buffalo gnat bites is by:
|Gnat suit or Gnat jacket|
- Wear light-colored clothing such as long sleeves shirt and long pants to cover up as much skin as possible.
- Wear a collar that covers the back of the neck.
- Netting Hat like the “bee bonnets” used by beekeepers, can provide protection when buffalo gnats are numerous and unavoidable. Wear hats with mesh nets that can extend over your face when you are near water. A hat with netting designed to keep flies off the head and neck. Some have suggested wearing construction-type hard hats, smeared with oil or petroleum jelly, to reduce biting and incapacitate flies that land on the hat.
- Wear bug spray when doing water activities, such as canoeing or fishing. Reapply every two hours.
Use chemical repellents to get rid of black gnats
NB: Insecticides are with no value against buffalo gnats invasions; report the infestation to state health officials who are trained in eliminated buffalo gnats.
If you interested, I ask you to share what you faced with gnat infestation around you.