I am trying to state the best tactics used by real customers to get rid of fungus gnats effectively Control them within 2 days by using beneficial nematode.
Nema-Globe as a natural Fungus gnat killer indoorFungus gnat control nematodes are microscopic predators squirming around which seek out larval stages of various fly and other dipteral insects which develop in the soil.
The beneficial nematodes live in the soil and attack any harmful egg or larvae, preventing future problems.
It’s easy to administer in two to three weeks.
Scientific intro first is appropriate, if you know that part already, just skip these paragraphs.
- Fungus gnats
They are families Mycetophilidae and Sciaridae which are a common pest of plants grown indoors.
When Fungus gnats are grown?
Where the humidity and moisture are high, the gnats infestation become severe.
They have annual tradition in your house every January during Christmas.
How to know your patio, yard, or pots have gnat infestation?
Larval stage is the harmless adults which are seen flying around house plants or gathered at a nearby window. While larvae is non-biting adult gnats they will be able to fly and buzzing around, feeding in the soil, that can damage tender plant roots.
- How to identify Adult and larvae?
Adults are delicate, grayish black, mosquito-like flies (1/8 inch long) with long legs and one pair of clear wings, however they are weak fliers
They are emerging from potted plants when watering.
Larvae are most damaging to seedlings, cuttings and young plants
Larvae or maggots (1/4 inch) have a shiny black head and an elongated, whitish to transparent body.
They are most abundant in damp, rich soils and feed on root hairs, fungi and other organic materials.
The Fungus Gnat Predator (Hypoaspis aculeifer)
It is a tiny, but effective killer of fungus gnat and other harmful larvae found in soil. But you cannot replace the enemy.
How to use nematodes the right way they are working great?
- After delivered and immediately put in the refrigerator as they need to be kept cool to keep them alive.
- You can See them squirming around in the dirt through the glass on the open terrarium-like container.
- Be sure to refrigerate immediately on arrival.
- Using dechlorinated water which simply chlorine free water, do not use tap water, 64 oz bottles of distiller water will do the job.
- Add nema-globe contents to a spray bottle. Or simply mix your nematodes into a watering can and drench the soil of all indoor plants.
- Immediately apply nematode solution after preparation
- Each day after you watered the plants, spray the plant and soil with the water/nematode mixture. Spray all your house plants.
- Reapplication is the key to best fungus gnat killing:
While each gnat can lay up to 200 eggs, all gnat killing techniques is aimed in “repeat, reapply”, don’t hesitate, the techniques really work to eliminate fungus gnats, and absolutely nats will go away by the time.
You may see a slight decrease in the gnats population during the first two weeks but you will see NO nats in the house for several weeks or so after reapplication.
- Do not apply to dry media
- Apply twice to absolutely kill all flying bugs, once immediately post receiving and one week later apply the second.
- Recommended reapplication by the manufacturer is within 7-10 days after the first time for a complete natural way to kill fungus gnats
- Application preferred for low pressure – every 2 weeks, at medium pressure – weekly, at high pressure – every 5 days.
- Reapply after heavily watering for 2 days later until the tiny predators work and engulf gnats families.
- Continue to spray with nema-globe mixture every few days as a defensive technique.
- Bigger fungus gnat’s infestation needs more nematode packages to massively remove all eggs, larvae, and adult insects.
- Also use more applications for severe infestation by gnats and other insects like fleas.
- Larger trees such as lemon tree really need for more nematodes.
Nema-Globe Fungus Gnat Pest Control problems solved
- The package arrives without any cooling packs, so that you are advised to use expedited shipping.
- Some pots are recovered from gnat eggs and larvae while other pots stills have gnats:
- You have big gnat population; hence the reapplication is the best solution.
- You potted plants in hard soil, then remix the soil or buy another one.
- The nema-globe content in the sprayer is low, add more.
- Fungus gnats bounced back worse than before after two weeks:
Dead nematode or less active nematode problems are possibly caused by:
- The patch arrived warm and has a fishy smell, thus it may be work after being refrigerated or the nematodes lost and will not working.
- You might not refrigerated the package after arrival, nematode rotten and become a hot meal for gnats in the soil.
- The soil has another predator which finds nematodes a delicious meal.
You did not respray after watering
- Excessive watering problems: A little water is a great factor to rinse nematodes from the foliage and media surface, while nematodes stay active in the potting media in general 10-14 days, too much watering may wash the nematodes away.
Do Nematodes harm my houseplants?
Using nematodes with vegetable plants can cause damage to roots, however this is safe because:
- We use some species which are beneficial called “Steinernema feltiae” and they are have NO mouth parts; it does not feed, while Plant-parasitic nematodes have a “stylet” mouthpart designed to penetrate plant tissues.
- Beneficial Nematodes are natural enemies of soil-dwelling insect larvae
- Obligate insect parasites (must attack an insect host to survive)
- Only the 3rd stage juvenile is free-living (also called the “IJ” or “dauer larva”).
- They are effective on fungus gnat larvae and other larval stage of diptera developing in the soil.
- Completely safe to humans
- EPA exempt from registration
- Nematodes can be used in with many materials, including fertilizers and fungicides and can be mixed with Adept (diflubenzuron), Distance (pyroproxifen), Gnatrol (Bti), Acephate, and pyrethroids.
- Easy to apply
Nema-Globe is ideal preventative treatment for tropical plants which are brought indoors after the outdoor gardening season is over
The package can be used within two seasons, use the half of contents in January while the other half kept in the refrigerator to apply in fall or simply resell as used fungus gnat killer.
If the method worked well and you got rid of your plant pest problem, please leave your feedback.